In the Czech Republic, we have a history of filmmaking that dates back to the 1920s. That means a history of directors, screenwriters, cinematographers, technicians and crew that goes back nearly a century. In addition to that, we have a legacy of artisans, painters and woodworkers that goes back much further. In the modern world, that translates into top-notch production designers, art directors, craft workers, props and carpenters. Our set builds are second to none.
Prague Studios lives in a neighborhood of Prague called Letnany. on the site of a former aircraft factory complex.
Established in 1918, by the Ministry of Defense, the factory was responsible for the production of new aircraft as well as repairs and modifications of trophy machines from the First World War. The area became the hub for all aviation and supplied the nearby airport. Thanks to the success of the airplane Praga E.114 aka Air Baby, the aircraft department became a well-established and recognized producer of aircraft in Czechoslovakia and beyond.
After the occupation of Czechoslovakia in March 1939, the German Luftwaffe took over all production capacities and the hangars were used for building and testing military aircraft for Hitler’s campaigns.
Due to this massive aircraft production, the factory became a military target and received devastating bombing from the Allied Air Forces, mainly in the spring of 1945. Despite this, the hangars lucked out and are still standing to this day.
After the war, the name was changed to Red Letov and production began again. In accordance with the international developments between the Czechoslovak Republic and the Soviet Union, Letnany began producing Soviet MiG-15 aircrafts.
From 1968, the aircraft factory was being used exclusively by the Soviet Union, creating crafts and parts for Russian military use.
After the fall of the Communist regime, the company supplied components for major civil aircraft manufacturers such as Airbus and has continued to supply commercially through the 90s. However, the hangars themselves fell into disuse.
Tomas Krejci purchased the neglected hangars and began renovations to convert these massive spaces into sound stages for film and commercial production.
In 2001, Studios 1, 2 & 5 were brought to life. Shooting commenced and soon Prague Studios became a household name.
Upgrades to the sound stages brought everything to yet a higher level and enabled Prague Studios to handle ever larger and larger productions.
Studio 6, the photo & content studio was renovated and joined the Prague Studios family.
Further modernizations to the existing studios were carried out, including new lighting grids and reinforced sound insulation.